Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Solar Cooker Version 1 - Should Still Work Just Fine

I figured out (by checking out some solar cooking recipes online), that maybe - at least this time of year in the desert - I'm just way over thinking this.

The extremely simple solar cooker I started with reached a temp of 225 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of hours in the midday summer desert sun. What I've learned by checking the times and temps for the recipes is that there are a good number of things that can be cooked in just a couple of hours at 200 degrees.

While the 1st version of the solar cooker that I slapped together might turn out to be worthless as a cooking tool come the cooler months (due to the lack of insulation) it should pretty easily bake up some bread.

Hi, remember me? - Solar Cooker Version 1.0
The best part? Our 5 year old is pretty psyched about trying this out with me this weekend, after having seen Curious George bake a lasagna in a solar oven. Gotta love PBS! ... Meanwhile the lady of the house still thinks I'm a nutbag, so it's nice to have someone on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment