Friday, July 15, 2011

Solar Cooker - Back to the Drawing Board

So, with the insulation issue I have decided to scrap version 1.0. On to 2.0.

This one will be based on the "Minimum Solar Cooker " I saw over at SolarCooking.org

Due to the recent birthday of our 5 year old, and the purchase of a new vacuum, I seem to have plenty of cardboard around to do the trick.

I'm going for an inch of air-space insulation on each side and the bottom as well as filling in some of the airspace with foil covered cardboard in an attempt to radiate the heat back in, or at least prevent it from escaping - as mentioned in the "upgrades" section in the link above. (That and I already have it partially assembled and did not foil the inside of the outer box).

I'll also be using a plastic oven cooking bag instead of the glass pane (at least initially). I still intend to add the "Heaven's flame" reflector set up, but I'll give it a go with the lid in the instructions first.

I'm also thinking, that a good, simple way to test it would be to try the solar "Beer Bread" recipe found at CookingWithTheSun.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment